Thursday, May 31, 2012

Archive Post - 2010 Cosplays

If asked to pick one costume that completely defined 2010 for me, it is this one:

















While there have been many cosplayers of Touko/Hilda/White since, this photo was taken just two weeks after the first pictures of the protagonists for Black and White were leaked onto the internet from CoroCoro magazine. I was the first cosplayer outside of Japan, if not the first cosplayer period, to complete and wear this costume.



And goodness, did I ever wear this costume. Not counting Ichibancon, Katsucon and Momocon, which happened before the art was released, I wore this costume to every single convention I went to in 2010 (which was a lot), as well as several non-convention events...just because I felt like it.

Including Touko, I only made 8 new costumes, but I fixed and re-wore several older costumes, including Ling, Sabrina, and Belarus.























First was the only other costume in which I look convincingly male, Meister Kirisaki from Yakitate! Japan. Sadly I only ever wore this costume once as well, despite it being one of my best constructed costumes ever.






















Filia from Slayers TRY, worn at Katsucon, Otakon and Anime Weekend Atlanta, while poorly constructed, is still a costume that even I am impressed by. Pictures of it look really amazing, at least. Filia is one of my favorite characters in the history of ever, so this costume is near constantly on my list of "repair and remake this".


















Miyako/Yolei Inoue from Digimon Adventure 02 (posing here with a Wizardmon cosplayer) isn't exactly one of my favorite cosplays ever, even while being one of my favorite characters. A horrid mashup of colors and fabrics, this costume...well, it looks very colorful on camera. Also the helmet. Ugh, just...ugh.

 Animazement saw me wearing the then-unnamed Black and White female protagonist:


















(Still one of my favorite cosplays ever.)

And of course, my requisite Kamen Rider cosplay:
Newest Photo - Click for More!

At Otakon I debuted my second Pokémon gijinka, Flygon:
Gijinka Flygon - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (game) - Flygon (Gijinka)

As well as the Heartgold/Soulsilver costume change for Sabrina:
Newest Photo - Click for More!
Bringing me up to four Pokémon cosplays.

And finally, rounding out the year was Narumi Akiko from Kamen Rider W, a nice casual cosplay, at Anime Weekend Atlanta:

Hoodie back - Kamen Rider W - Narumi Akiko 
I'm a little more proud of the back of that hoodie than I have the right to be.
Fun fact: it is the only piece of the costume I reliably wear outside of cosplay!

No comments:

Post a Comment