Thursday, May 31, 2012

Archive Post - Plush of 2009

So, six conventions and eleven costumes in 2009 - with all that happening, surely I wasn't making plushies left and right as well, was I?

Of course I was.

















My biggest accomplishment, in all senses of the word, in 2009 was undoubtedly Tadpole Jackson.

This massive beanbag-sized plush tadpole is the biggest plush I have ever made at 24 inches tall and nearly 60" long including the tail. Tadpole Jackson was a large prop to go with my Eruka Frog cosplay, and made an appearance at two conventions, where he was convenient for photo-ops and for sitting. He was indeed made from an old beanbag overstuffed with beanbag filler and then covered with black fleece. The eyes and mouth were appliqued on. While I've since lost the beanbag that this tadpole once was, the outer skin is still intact.















I also completed these three, also to go with my Eruka Frog cosplay - three identical tadpole "bomb" plushies. I used two of them in the skit at Animazement to "fight" Black Star with by attaching them with fishing wire to my hands.


This I made to go with my roommate's Medusa costume, it is more of a prop than a plushie, but still falls under this category. The "body" is made of wire, so it can coil around arms or stand on its own.















Also in 2009 I made my first ever Pokémon plush, a tiny little Poliwag, which I have since given to a friend. Soon after Poliwag, I completed these two:

  

And this guy, for a friend's birthday:


Also this year, I made a cute little backpack/accessory to go with my Sabrina cosplay:


The pouch in the back could only hold my cell phone and money, but that was enough.

And in that same vein, I made a Staryu for a friend that was cosplaying Misty:

It's so simple, and yet I still think it turned out great.

Rounding out the year, I started taking online commissions for plushies, starting with four Pokémon plush for members of the livejournal community pkmncollectors:






(Spoiler alert: this is by far not the only Eevee plush I've ever made)


This Venusaur is still one of my favorite plush of the ones I've ever made. I've always been really happy with how it turned out, and I can only hope that the recipient still loves it as much as I do!


An Etsy Alchemy request (remember that? It was a thing!) for a "Fwooper" from Harry Potter...


Gir from Invader Zim, also an Etsy Alchemy request...

And finally, one of the most complicated, scariest, and the second-biggest plush I've ever made:


The Millenium Earl from D.Gray-man. A monstrocity of fleece, felt, cardboard, doll glasses from Hobby Lobby, and pure evil, this thing is 32 inches tall (taller than Tadpole Jackson!) and still hangs out in my roommate's closet...somewhere.

Oh, and I also made this thing in about 15 minutes as a gag/Christmas present for a friend:



For anyone keeping count, that is an impressive 18 plushies in one year, many of which I still consider to be my "best".

No comments:

Post a Comment